Re: [RC] Sport Saddle slipping - Vicki Austin

I too have never had a problem with my crupper and
breast plate.  I used to have slippage all the time no
matter what saddle I had and no matter how tight I put
the girth.  My horse loves to buck down hill and I
have had some close calls.  I put some do dad bags on
my Breast Plate.  I have six.   Two long and skinny
ones (one for granola bars and one for glasses and
whistle) One for my heart moniter, one for tissues and
lip balm, one for rider card and map, one for bug
spray etc.

--- Ed & Wendy Hauser <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
After witnessing a couple of wrecks in the '70's, I
equipped all my saddles
with breast collars and cruppers.  Since then many
people have told me that:

"If your saddle fits correctly you don't need them."
"The hills around here are not steep enough..."
"They are only required on mutton withered horses."

Other than the training required to teach a horse to
accept a crupper, which
is good in general as one more rope desensitization
lesson, I have never
seen any down side to using them.  They sit on the
saddles and probably add
30 seconds to tacking up.  Of course, all the horses
I have owned may not
have had sensitive skin, for I have never had any
irritation problems.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

Of course things aren't perfect,  perfect doesn't
exist on this earth.
Doesn't mean we won't go on trying to get better at
what we do. Besides, if
everything was perfect today, what would you do
tomorrow? Slamming each
other doesn't get anything done.
~  Dot Wiggins

ridecamp.net information: