Re: [RC] re: the best method to reform a dedicated puller - Truman Prevatt

When we got the Jbird he would have a panic reaction if he ever hit the end of the lead when tied. We started to work on that but we started to work on other things to. First I let him walk around dragging a lead rope. He would step on it - first time he jerked up almost paniced he moved his front feet to pull back - the rope came loose and no panic. He looked sort of puzzled as only a dumbfounded Arab can ;-), but he realized that he didn't need to panic when he steps on his rope. We did that for a while so now if he steps on it - hey no big deal he just moves his foot.

Next we started to work on the tying. Got a bicycle inter tube and tied the tube to some thing solid and the lead rope to the tube. He would pull but it would give. I carried that tube for about a year when I rode to my favorite hole in the wall greasy spoon for breakfast. No problem. After about a year with the tube I traded the tube in for a "ride and tie" lead line. A short lead line with a velcro loop on the end. When you are riding, throw the lead around his neck ( still attached to the bridle or halter) and fasten it in place with the velcro loop. When you stop wrap it around the hitching rail and wrap the velcro loop around the rope to keep him there. No problem - but with that at least if he panics the velcro will break loose before his neck.

I've used that for 8 years on the Jbird. I always ride him with it on and have used in for on trail emergencies to tie him to a tree several times while I paid attention to something else. He hasn't had a panic attack for years but I don't trust that he never will again so I always use the ride and tie lead or a bungee lead line when I do tie him. My cross ties have a bungee section in them that has some give.

Like Jim, I would like them to stand and if I don't need to tie I expect them to stand.  If I'm dealing with someone in an emergency - like fallen off their horse and gotten hurt - I don't want to have to keep an eye on the horse to make sure he stands so I will tie him in those situtations. However, I have him stand when it makes sense. When I saddle up before an endurance ride I do in the pen with him standing. No need to tie him up to saddle up.

One time I was sitting in the resturant having breakfast with the Jbird tied to the hitching rail outside. He must have rubbed his head on the hitching rail and evidently undid the snap (the rope was still handing there). Someone came in had said there was a horse heading down the street. I run out (he was to only horse there) and I ran after him. He was just walking along - sort of looking lost. I yell his name - stopped, turned around, looked at me, called back and came walking back. I gave him a treat and big pat,  led him back, hooked him up and went back in and finished breakfast.

The guy that saw him leave said he stood there for awhile looking around and then started down the street. He was headed back the way we came - heading home I expect probably still trying to find me.

Truman

Karen Sullivan wrote:
I am very puzzled by all this...how can you not have a  horse that ties?
Don't you tie the horse to your trailer when you are getting ready at
endurance rides?  What about riding someplace for lunch (like restaurant),
tie the horse outside?  What if someone gets hurt and you have to attend to
them in an emergency (sure handy if the horses get tied up).  I just can't
imagine not training or requiring that....don't you ever leave your horse
tied and run in the house for something?

I just don't get it.

To me part of a horse being fully usable means being able to be tied in any
situation.....that is good maners also.
Karen