[RC] LD BC - Jonni Jewell

Having just come from a ride that did the BC for the LD horses, I do think
it adds some more time to the vets than I had realized. The horses finish,
then they come by the vets for the 15 min. CRI. Then, they come back in
another 45 min. for the full BC judging. When you have (like we did today)
130 total horses, then having the other two distances also arriving to try
to vet to get back on the trail, while we were also looking at the first 10
LD horses not once, but TWICE, it did add to the work load. We had plenty of
vets, until there was an emergency, and one got pulled away from their
duties for awhile. Then, there was another horse that needed some immediate
attention, so we went from four vets to two vets, right when they were
having to do the BC stuff. And, since the BC horses have that time factor to
try to look at them all in the same amount of time from when they finished,
they would get to 'the head of the line', while the others waited. Yes, it
might be a rare thing to have half your vet staff pulled away for awhile,
but it does happen.

Managers who have been putting on certain rides for awhile, usually have
their own reasons for doing some of the things they do. If they choose to
not offer LD BC, many might have very good reasoning for it. Some feel that
it encourages the 'race' factor. I'll leave that choice to the managers who
usually know the types of riders they get at their rides. But I am also
wondering how many rides who do get enough 50 mile entries, might just start
dropping the LD distance from their ride. Goodness...when you have 150
riders show up for the first day of a 3 day ride, where there was not a 25
miler offered, makes you wonder if the LD really DOES support the
organization like some say it does. Who knows, if managers start dropping 25
milers,maybe we will see more riders move up to longer distances.

Jonni

Arabians were bred for years primarily as a war horse and those
requirements are similar to what we do today with endurance riding.
~  Homer Saferwiffle