Re: [RC] easyboot experts - please help! - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"...I've tried everything (training wise) and nothing changes her
resistance as soon as nailing starts. Anything else you do is fine, just no
nails..."

Sounds like a prime candidate for the old war bridle training method.

You put the war bridle on the horse.  There are various types, lots of
pre-natural horsemanship books have illustrations.  Put her in a round pen,
or relatively small area.  Do not tie her, or have anyone hold her.  Pick up
the foot, and tap with hammer.  When misbehavior happens, immediately jerk
on the war bridle.  She will jump, snort and other wise resist.  Keep
jerking until she stops backing.  Then praise her and stroke her.  Repeat.
After a few repeats make her move towards you before stopping the jerks.
Note: these are jerks, not steady pulls.  Note also they are uncomfortable,
but not really painful, though she may try to convince you they are.

Eventually, you will be able to pound on a horseshoe with no reaction.  Then
it is time to call in a farrier.  Hopefully, you can find one that knows the
technique.  Pay him extra for training.  She will act up for the farrier the
first shoeing or two, but since by now she knows that acting up results in
instant correction, it won't take many lessons before she stands quietly.

As in all horse training, timing is very important.  After you have done it
a number of times, it gets easier.

The pure natural horsemanship lift up the foot etc until fear goes away is
fine and works, but when a habit is somewhat ingrained, both reward and
punishment is needed.

We (me and my farrier) have used this method on two of Wendy's mares.  The
first gave fits with only one rear foot.  The reason was that foot had a
severe case of scratches when she was young.  She was sure that pain was
going to be the result of farrier work.  The other broke a front coffin
bone.  She had to be correctively shod until it healed.  Even tranked, it
must have been painful so she didn't want shoes nailed to that foot.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

Why should I look good if I don`t smell good?
~  author unknown