Re: [RC] [AERC-Members] New LD BC Rule - heidi

The point is to support those people
who take care of their horses.  AND support the good treatment of those
horses through BC awards.  I say there should not  be one BC award in
the LD; there should be more than one award, based on various criteria.
  We should do everything we can to encourage people to consider the
condition of their horse, ESPECIALLY at the LD rides, where most people
start.  I would go so far to say, do BC's instead of top ten for the
LD's.

VERY well said, Paul.  And some of the suggestions here about how to do
something different for the LD BC that doesn't emphasize being in the Top
Ten have been really good.

FWIW, some of the RMs that have pioneered some alternatives down in PS
have done exactly what you suggest, too--they've given a Top 5 or a Top 10
BC or vet score, instead of a Top 10 across the line.

The LD folks are the ones trying out the sport and trying to learn--and
the LD BC experience should be a positive part of that learning
experience.

Heidi

The whole ride experience can be very hard, and at times you question why
you put yourself through such abuse. But then you remember all those
moments when you pop up over a hill and are suddenly surrounded by the most
stunning views.  It's just you and your horse and for a moment time stops
and you can hear the angels sing.  Therein lies the addiction, at least for
me.
~  Leslie Beyers