From: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <karen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: <AERCMembersForum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AERC-Members] New LD BC Rule
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 17:24:17 -0700 (MST)

>  We already have lots of lines to wait in at many
> rides

If that is the case, then either your rides are already understaffed, or
the start times aren't spaced in such a way as to make the rider flow
smooth.

> If the vets and the riders and the ride managers  are asking
> that this not be implemented, why force it down their
> throats.

Why force ANY sort of rider education down their throats then?  Gee, let's
just scrap any sort of thing that encourages riders to keep their horses
in good shape.  The problems with this are not relative to having to DO a
BC judging--they are relative to the system being used.  I'm all for
making rides offer a BC--I'm just not sold on the concept that the
endurance method of BC being the right way to judge BC on LD rides!

>Maybe we should just require a certain # of vets to # of
> riders  and then we can effectively shut down most endurance rides out
> West.  Problem solved.  Karen/West Region

Personally, I'd tend not to go back to rides where there are long vet
lines.  Perhaps the managers and vets involved here need to get around a
bit and see how other managers and vets solve those same problems--they
may find that with a few simple changes, the vet lines don't become an
issue, and there's plenty of time to examine the horses.

Regarding the extra time it allegedly takes--if the vet listens to the
heart, trots the horse out, and does the rest of the exam, the time to
take the second pulse for the CRI is another 15 seconds.  We do the
completion exam at the 10 or 15 minute CRI usually, so there is no
duplication there.  The extra exam at the hour takes under 2 minutes per
horse.  Are you telling me that your ride vets in the West region don't
have time to spend a measly 2 minutes each with 10 horses?  What on earth
would they do if TWO more entries showed up for the 50, and had to be
examined five times apiece (once pre-ride, three times at vet checks, and
once at the end)?  That is how much more time it takes to judge LD BC.

Again, I have my qualms about this rule--but the concept that it will
cause the vets a bunch of extra work is a non-starter.

Heidi

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar ? get it now! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/

Why should I look good if I don`t smell good? ~ author unknown