Re: [RC] [AERC-Members] New LD BC Rule - heidi

I'll have to give this one some thought.  I, personally, don't like
standing  for BC in the LD.  I feel it's wasting the vet's valuable
time.  But, on the  other hand, I like seeing what they have to say
about my horse. With some  vets it's almost like getting a free
pre-purchase exam even though you  already own the horse. What a
dilemma.

I should hope that any vet who considers a chance to help a rider learn
more about his horse to be a "waste of time" might consider taking up
tiddlywinks instead of endurance...

My guess is this won't sit well with the seasoned endurance riders in
spite  of the fact that the LD riders are the fastest growing segment of
AERC  members.

Oh, actually requiring that there BE a BC judged on the LD sits VERY well
with this seasoned rider--it is only the message that is sent of rewarding
speed on LDs that bothers me about it.  Most of us are already offering
BCs to the LD riders--it is only a couple of regions that are having an
issue with this.  I actually rather liked judging all of them instead of
just the Top Ten--but if people are digging in their toes about how much
"hassle" it is to judge a mere 10 horses, I can imagine the eruption that
might occur if it was suggested instead that all be judged and the award
based on high vet score...  (Although that concept comes from some hardy
ride managers in the very same regions that seem to be raising the
opposition to this--and y'know what??  Their rides are VERY popular, their
entry fees aren't out of sight, and the riders appreciate it!  What a
concept--give the riders something positive, and they come back....)

Heidi

We are talking about all the tools we can use to keep our horses safe and
alive at the rides. Training/conditioning is one of the best tools
available. It makes us better horseman and women, it benefits our horses
and could quite possibly be the key to preventing most crashes.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm