Re: [RC] The Great Vitamin Debate - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

Also, if you're feeding extra beetpulp and nothing else then you're
imbalancing your calcium/phosphorus ration.  Rice bran is a good
supplement to balance out the beetpulp.

I'm just going by what Susan G says about beet pulp, but in my
understanding, it isn't unbalanced with regard to Ca and P so much as it
just doesn't HAVE a whole lot of it.

No, I'm going by what Dr. Kellon says (and shows with her balancing
charts).

No offense to Dr. Kellon, but beware of charts that show lots of cool ratios
and don't take into account basic digestive physiology.

Sigh...so, here we go again.  Calcium-phosphorus ratios have to be balanced
so that there is sufficient phosphorus, sufficient calcium, but also more
calcium than phosphorus.  As long as there is *sufficient* phosphorus, you
do NOT need to "balance" a ca-p ratio by adding yet more phosphorus.

The reason (and this is not opinion, this is physiology) for this is because
calcium is primarily absorbed in the small intestine (the front part of the
GI tract), while phosphorus is absorbed throughout the length of the small
and large intestine.  Thus, calcium has a limited opportunity to be absorbed
while at the same time potentially being bound to, and thus rendered
biologically unavailable by excess phosphorus.

Phosphorus, on the other hand, can still be absorbed along the length of the
GI tract long after all the bioavailable calcium has either been absorbed
further up the line, or rendered unavailable and thus becomes a 'spectator'
as it travels through the small and large colon.  As a result, excess
phosphorus interferes with the bioavailability of calcium, but the opposite
is **NOT** true---excess calcium does not interfere with phosphorus
metabolism to any significant amount, therefore falsely "balancing" ca-p
ratios by feeding phosphorus in excess of requirements does not serve any
earthly good whatsoever.  This doesn't mean that rations wildly in excess of
calcium requirements are a good thing---primarily because excess calcium
lends to a more alkaline pH in the hindgut (not optimal for a variety of
reasons that I would be happy to cover at another time), and also because
excess calcium creates endocrine (hormonal) imbalances that then potentiate
thumps during endurance exercise.  So, excess calcium isn't a good thing
either, but is NOT improved in any way by just adding in more phosphorus to
falsely "balance" the ratios.

Now, let's talk about what excess phosphorus in the ration does do.  One,
the biggie in my practice area in So Cal, is that when high phosphorus feeds
like bran are fed along with high proportions of high protein-and-magnesium
alfalfa (extremely common in So Cal), a common sequelae is enterolith
formation.  Almost invariably (95% according to UC Davis), the horses with a
history of chronic and repeated bouts of colic that ultimately go to surgery
for removal of enteroliths are on high alfalfa and high bran or grain
rations.  I'd guess we're referring for surgery or euthanizing two to three
horses a month to enteroliths, and it's a trend that I'm getting tired of in
a hurry.  Would those horses have developed enteroliths anyway if they
weren't getting excess phosphorus in their ration?  Maybe.  Would fewer
horses be developing enteroliths, developing colic and dying were they NOT
fed excess phosphorus feeds?  YES.

Two, let's talk about what other minerals excess phosphorus *does* interfere
with----namely, zinc, magnesium (again, that enterolith relationship),
manganese and a few others of little significance.  Of any real importance,
probably not---but if it isn't doing any good, either, then what's your
point?

I don't mean to insult Dr. Kellon's opinions (I've never met her), but this
theory in particular is clearly contraindicated by clinical literature.
There are plenty of nutrition theories that, while inaccurate, at least
don't actually increase the risk of GI disease and death.  For God's sake,
let's not perpetuate the theories that can cause actual harm and useless
suffering.

Dramatic, yes, and more than a little snippy because it's been a very long
day and I'm tired of looking at colics that didn't have to happen.  Come
ride with me the next time I have to euthanize a horse with enteroliths in
its guts.  Then we'll talk about mathematical charts that the horses didn't
read and aren't based on real world physiology.

SUSAN E. GARLINGHOUSE, DVM, MS
Michael S. Peralez, DVM & Associates
1005 North Santa Anita Drive
Arcadia, California 91006
(626) 446-8911
http://www.shady-acres.com/susan

Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough
~  Theodore Roosevelt