RE: [RC] [RC] Blind in Two Eyes - heidi

I'm greedy; each moment I spend with her is more valuable than the last
and  I won't cut any of it short.  I know I'm an oddball here.  I just
cannot be  the one to make that call; that has to go to a higher power.

Did you ever stop to think that a higher power entrusted her to you so
that she would have someone there who cares enough to make that call when
the time comes?

Having animals is an awe-some and terrible responsibility.  I admire folks
who go the extra mile with a "special needs" critter--as long as that
critter has a quality of life and is enjoying that life.  I have a
completely blind horse, one with very few teeth, a colt who shattered his
cannon and miraculously healed with a lot of effort and TLC, and a few
other special needs critters around here as well.  And I've had quite a
few in the past.

But there comes a day when they lie down and look at you with pain-filled
eyes and say, "Free me from this agony, PLEASE!" And when that day comes,
you have to forget your own feelings of loss and bite the bullet and think
about what is best for THEM.  It is the the most compassionate favor you
can ever do for them, if it is truly time for them to go.

Howard, have you ever read the Surrabu poem?  This horse was the best
friend I had on earth, bar none.  He meant my whole life to me.  He has
been gone for 15 years, and I still get teary-eyed when I think about
losing him.  But I had to step up to the plate and make that call, because
a higher power had trusted me to take care of him...  Here's the link...
http://www.sagehillcmk.com/Surrabu%20poem.html

Heidi

People in Alabama swear by manure tea as an herbal remedy for colds.
~ Lisa Redmond