Re: [RC] Home on the Range Heidi? - heidi

How was Home on the Range this year?  Send in a report for those of us
too snowed in this year to condidion in time for it!

The WIND howled at gale force much of the day, but since it was sunny and
the temp was moderate, it was pretty tolerable.  Lee had a good
turnout--66 on the LD, 70 on the 50, and 15 on the 75.  Since we didn't
arrive until after midnight, started late, and rode at the back of the
pack, I didn't see a lot of folks until after.  But all in all, pretty
good for March in the NW.  :-)  My main problem was horse still in winter
jammies--didn't want to clip since I knew we had to come home to more
winter (indeed, it snowed today) so I had to do some extra sponging at the
second check to help my guy deal with heat.  There was a really high pull
rate on the LD--not sure if that had something to do with it or not...

We had less snow here this year than last, and had a warm March, so were
able to get at least some conditioning in on our ponies--we started
haphazardly in February, and were at least onto our second shoeing.  But I
hear ya about the snow--we got bored with our little "lowland" loop (I say
that TIC as we live at 5000') and headed for the high country the other
day--and about got poor Zeffer stranded in a snow drift up to his belly.
<g>

Heidi

You don't have to be a 100-mile rider or a multi-day rider to be an
endurance rider, but if you want to experience the finest challenges our
sport has to offer, you need to do both of those.
~ Joe Long