Re: [RC] Blind in One Eye Horse - heidi

This group has, by far, some of the most experienced voices around when
it comes to horses.  I am thinking about taking in a horse who is blind
in one eye.  She appears to be well trained, in good health, etc.  What
has been your experience in handling a horse like this and riding one?
I doubt that she'll be an endurance prospect, probably a trail horse
around home.

My experience with blind horses and partially blind horses has been all
over the map, ranging from individuals like our stallion Abu Ben Surrabu
who finally became completely blind after an 8-10 year fight with ERU and
who actually did his last 50-mile completion after becoming totally blind
(he is COMPLETELY confidant and trustworthy under saddle and was
throughout the entire process, but the rider HAS to "be" his eyes,
obviously) to horses that are completely freaked by anything that happens
on their blind side.  I've dealt with several lovely blind broodmares
belonging to clients who are just awesome in their ability to cope, and
I've known several one-eyed horses that you'd never suspect of having a
handicap, they were so steady.

So I'd say you'd just have to treat her as an individual and see how SHE
deals with the problem--if she is comfortable about life in general with
her handicap, then I would have no qualms about her as a riding horse.

Heidi

People in Alabama swear by manure tea as an herbal remedy for colds.
~ Lisa Redmond