[RC] Horse personalities and herdiness - Julie Fuller

Mel,

I had a mare from the same situation. She was going on ten, spent her whole life in a stall, body clipped and blanketed. She was a lesson horse, for kids cuz she was small. Spent a few hours a year on the trails, and was occasionally thrown out in a small pasture with a bunch of mustang and TWH broodmares.

When I brought her home, I threw her out with four other horses on ten acres and let them "have at it". She quickly established herself as boss mare, and then graduated to "Hell Bitch" She wasn't prejudiced at all... she hated every horse and every human on the planet! *grin*

But.... She was exceptionally well broke, and I think that was the key to our relationship. She was clueless as to different speeds, other than walk, trot, canter (All in slo-mo. Arena work with kids will do that) and had no idea what to do about up, down and sideways on the trails. But it didn't take her long to figure it all out because she listened.

I rode her for over a year before I started endurance on her. We did hours and hours of mountain riding, packing all sorts of gear in all types of weather and on all sorts of trails from bad to worse. Other than a few minor wrecks in the beginning, she turned out to be one of the best horses I've ever had the privilege of riding. She was amazing.

She was also one of the most laid back horses I've ever had. She virtually NEVER spooked! For example: I'm cantering along a trail in the woods, four riders behind me. We're going along at a pretty good clip, and a grouse comes out of nowhere and hits Rayna in the belly right behind my left heel. She never flicked and ear! The gal behind me couldn't believe it!

Oddly enough, besides being the epitome of bitchy boss mare, she also developed a serious hatred of being in a stall. Same for wearing blankets. It was like once she realized what "being a horse" was, she NEVER wanted to go back to being a stalled, pampered pet. She loved her job, and her life. She gave me her all, yet was reasonable and took good care of herself (Again, after a few boo boos on my part.... )

I just got a new horse too.... one who has been socialized pretty well over the years, but for some reason she is pretty herd bound. I can ride her off the place no problem... she leaves gladly and willingly, but if I try to ride her in the pasture with her buddies, she gets distracted and stops listening to me. I honestly think it's because she's never bonded (or totally trusted, or however you want to word it) with anyone. I know this horse's entire history, and she's been passed around a lot, and was neglected badly for her first few years. I'm making it a point to be her "master" and let her know she can depend on me, and I will depend on her. I don't think it will take long.... she was boarded at my place for a few years, and close by the rest of the time. I'm at least familiar to her.

It sounds like you are off to a good start with your horse. I'd keep on doing what you are doing. Pasture her with other horses as much as possible... It may help her realize that work is when she has to listen to you, and play is when she can listen to them. I think alot of horses have trouble knowing the difference between work and play.... they get distracted by other horses. Time is the cure for that..... she'll learn to listen to you regardless of what else is going on.

Julie

============================================================ REAL endurance is eating egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight! ~ Heidi Sowards