From: Bar JM Ranch <barjmranch@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   sticking them with a horse nail
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:21:14 -0800 (PST)

I have heard of this but not as discipline. I rode
western pleasure quarter horses in the seventies. A
mare I showed had been stuck with a nail to teach her
to keep her head below the horizontal. I never used a
nail on her and wouldn't want to, but whenever her
head would drift too high in the show ring, all I had
to do was poke her at the top of the withers, just in
front of the saddle horn, with my finger and she would
lower her head again.

Again, don't advocate, but I believe this was the
original intention. I have also shown Tennessee
Walkers and American Saddlebreds (in the seventies)
and saw many using hot sauce under the tail to
"encourage" a high tail carriage in horses that didn't
have the tendon cut and tail set.

Melanie in Greece

=====

Melanie in Greece

http://www.geocities.com/barjmranch/

__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on time. http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html ============================================================ One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think whatever you want. ~ Homer Safferwiffle

Get reliable access on MSN 9 Dial-up. 3 months for the price of 1! (Limited-time offer) http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup&pgmarket=en-us&ST=1/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
which is the bitterest.
~  Confucius