Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 12:45 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] electrolytes/dehydration

I've found that an unconditioned/young/unfit horse will sweat foamy, salty, thick and sticky sweat.  It drys crusty and salty on the skin/hair.
As the horse gets in better shape the sweat begins to get cleaner and more watery.   A really fit horse's sweat hardly tastes salty at all, and leaves almost no residue on the hair, just wet.

Gayle Ecker, who has been studing electrolyte loss in endurance horses since the late 80's and probably has looked at over 5000 endurance horse's blood told me one time that even in training horses can loose significant electrolytes and they don't acclimate to that loss - that is they don't get better at not losing them.