Re: [RC] electrolytes/dehydration - Truman Prevatt

Gayle Ecker, who has been studing electrolyte loss in endurance horses since the late 80's and probably has looked at over 5000 endurance horse's blood told me one time that even in training horses can loose significant electrolytes and they don't acclimate to that loss - that is they don't get better at not losing them.

Her studies also pointed out that in most cases the biggest lost (percentage loss) is in the first 20 miles. A lot depends on where you are riding - but even in the dry climates you are losing salts. It is very obvious in a dry climate if you are riding a bay or black horse - you can see calked up around the base of their ears, on their face, etc. You can also taste it by licking your fingers, rubbing ther neck and then licking you fingers again. If you taste salt they have lost electrolytes - the saltier the more loss.

My horses have access to free choice salt 24/7/365.25. If they get a hard workout in hot weather they get some balanced electrolyte mix in thier feed. At a ride they get a dose every hour - no matter the distance.

The next time you are at an endurance ride - pick the head vets brain about this. They will be able to give you the best advice based on where you are and their experience.

Truman

Ridecamp Guest wrote:
Please Reply to: Tami home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for all your input.  I wasn't planning on e-lyte replacement for 25 milers.  I was trying to prepare for longer rides.  From what everyone is saying I think unless there is a problem, I should leave it alone and concentrate on conditioning.  What about foam, I have heard that is the electrolytes coming out??  Joe, I would love to do a 100 or a multi-dayer but I am not so lucky to have that kind of time or money yet.  Soon I hope, soon...
Tami

REAL endurance is reading the LD vs. Endurance thread/debate every 3
months!!!
~ Heidi Sowards

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.