Re: [RC] Nail Pricks etc - Chris Paus

I agree that we shouldn't be judging each other and I
don't think anyone really is.

There are lots of ways to approach horse ownership and
horsemanship. I share what has worked and not worked
for me and my horses in hopes someone else might find
some inspiration for solving a problem...

But I will admit wholeheartedly that I am no guru and
certainly don't have all the answers or even most of
the answers!

I also agree that the snaffle bit is NOT the right bit
for every horse in every situation. My easiest going,
sweetest horse who is safe enough for children and
beginners, absolutely hates snaffle bits and gets
worried and stressed with one. Must be the shape of
his mouth or something...

OTOH, if someone is suggesting something that I truly
believe is harmful for horses, I will speak up.

chris
--- Karen Sullivan <greymare56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Responding to what Ray wrote below......having owned
some extremely
difficult horses that came to me as a last
resort....my opinion is that
nobody really has the right to judge how someone
rides their horse....unless
they are willing to get on and give it a try!  I
rode Chancy mare with the
biggest ole curb bit you have ever seen....given her
past history, it was
the only bit I could negotiage with....and to use
less would have put
everyone AROUND me at risk too.....for those who
insist that any horse can
be retrained in a snaffle...I would have been more
than willing to let then
give it a go!
Karen

Please Reply to: Ray O'Donohue rno2m@xxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Frank,my friend: you might be able to get on Chico
and do what others
cannot.(Frosty morning:Ride him away from the
cantering group and travel
parallel to them,cantering slowly,stopping
occasionally, with them still in
sight,AND have Chico stay quiet and calm and
cooperative,no

rearing,jigging,side-passing,crow-hopping,propping,etc.Hell,while
we're at
it let's say  there's slack in the reins the whole
time and you are
whistling a tune.)I don't say nobody can do this.But
the person who can will
be someone very unusual.I've often thought some
little kid might have no
trouble with him whatsoever.He never did any of wild
stuff with me  when I
first got him.I couldn't ride at all,in those days.
Chico taught me gently
for a while,and then gradually taught me the Full
Chico Method of Rock &
Roll horsemanship. It's sure been interesting,and I
can pretty much ride any
other horse now.If I thought I could safely
experiment with sticking him
with a nail I would.Might try it in a plowed field
one day.

====================
When you ask a Quarter horse for something he says -
Sure -  and when you
ask an Arab for something he says  - Why? -
~  Heidi Smith

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

====================

Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is
fast enough
~  Theodore Roosevelt

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
The whole ride experience can be very hard, and at times you question why
you put yourself through such abuse. But then you remember all those
moments when you pop up over a hill and are suddenly surrounded by the most
stunning views.  It's just you and your horse and for a moment time stops
and you can hear the angels sing.  Therein lies the addiction, at least for
me.
~  Leslie Beyers