Re: [RC] pin pricks/punishment/rewards,etc - heidi

Re "Influencing the horse in a way it can understand us
is, IMO,  true horsemanship".Well,they understand punishment just as
well or better than reward. Does anyone think horses only communicate to
each other in a physically friendly way? Chico is the most friendly,and
willful,and stubborn horse God ever created. He sent him to me because
there was no other place Chico could go except into an Alp can. Chico
understands what I want and need him to do perfectly well.I win every
argument except the ones that leave me eating leaves and dirt.But the
debate NEVER ends. Quiet moments in the shade of the trees? All the
time. ZERO correlation to under saddle debates.They are not dogs.

Bottom line here---a horse ONLY understands punishment if he FIRST
understands what it is that you want and then willfully does otherwise.
You CANNOT make a horse understand what it is that you are asking by
punishment.

I agree that Chico sounds like he knows what you are asking and is pushing
your buttons.  When you start with an already spoiled horse the
methodology DOES differ somewhat from starting a green horse with a clean
slate.

I'd also add that some horses are more amenable to reward than others, and
some are more sensitive about punishment than others.  Same is true of
dogs, kids, and just about every species in this universe.

The thing about punishment is that 1) the horse has to already know that
his action was inappropriate in order for it to be really effective, 2)
the punishment has to fit the "crime" (you don't wallop him bloody for a
small misdemeanor), 3) the punishment has to be short, sharp, and
instantaneous, or he doesn't connect it to the "crime" at all and just
thinks you are a jerk, 4) YOU have to be able to switch your own emotions
from punishment to reward instantaneously if HE switches from wrongdoing
to the right behavior.

Heidi

I still prefer what it is that BH100, Tevis, The Duck's Soup of Endurance,
etc. has to offer...but, to see a horse canter over sand for those
distances...Good Lord, it humbles me.
~  Frank Solano