Re: [RC] ez boots in sand - Jon . Linderman

Ed,

Barefoot is  a thought for this ride.  I am 99.9% certain hes fine on most
courses barefoot in back, but his fronts have been a struggle.  They tend
to be flat and he gets ouchy easily w/out shoes in front.  Its that 2%of
the course  that worries me.  I'd hate to get one bruise from the one stone
out there w/my name on it and set our year back.  The snow shoe effect of
ez boots sounds like a good idea, thanks Kat, and of course we'd foam them
on to seal out crud, just wondering how much "feel" we might lose w/boots
inthe sand.  Its raining now and boy that sure makes the sand wonderful in
my limited expereince.  Hard, but nice traction....perfect really.  I rode
1 day of S2S last year when it rained very briefly, but hard enough to pack
things down on the "back" of an an out and back loop.  The ffort on the way
back was noticeably diminished.  I stress the details of my horse's feet
relentlessly.  I do the same for our race horse,  and my son, who is the
horse's trainer, and our co-owner laugh at me over my shoe fretting, but no
horse of ours has ever hit the track w/crooked, loose, or dull shoes.  I'll
miss the finals of a  series this saturday when I am at the CTR w/my
daughter, but before I load my horse in the trailer I'll take one last look
at the race horse's shoes before I go, then call my tainer in the paddock
to get a last shoe exam saturdy night when my horse is done w/day 1 of the
CTR.  No hoof no horse right?!

Many thanks.........

Jon

                     Ed Kilpatrick

                     <whytrotfarms@xxxxxxx        To:
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                     om>                          cc:

                     Sent by:                     Subject:  [RC]   ez boots in
sand
                     ridecamp-owner@xxxxxx

                     durance.net

                     03/29/2004 11:21 PM

jon,  if the ctr course is mostly flat and sandy,  is there any reason you
cant run the horses barefoot?     ed

It is how we "feel" deep inside that matters, cause each of us knows the
truth, regardless of how we try make it complicated.  It just isn't.
~ Frank Solano