From: "Jim Holland" <lanconn@xxxxxxx>
To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Leatherwood Ride - Part 1
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:31:27 -0500

"LEATHERWOOD - A deciduous shrub (Dirca palustris) of eastern North America,
having tough flexible branches, pliable bark, and small yellow flowers."

Leatherwood - Even the name makes you think of
Endurance....flexibility...toughness....and beauty. I had planned to go
early and just hang out for a couple of days, but Joan couldn't get off work
and there was NO way she was gonna miss this ride. I think it's the baby
back ribs.....or maybe the breakfast Sunday morning....or the convenience or
crewing there...probably all of those things and more.

We really love this ride. Leatherwood has a history of hosting some
inclement weather along with the ride. The first year I attended, it was
cold, cloudy, and damp, with the fog in the valleys looking like lakes from
the mountains above. Even then, it was beautiful. When the fog burned off,
the valleys below were bright green with miniature cows sprinkled across
them and the mountains "Blue Ridge Blue" in the distance.

All the action. All the drama. Get NCAA hoops coverage at MSN Sports by ESPN. http://msn.espn.go.com/index.html?partnersite=espn

REAL endurance is dressing for 20 degrees in the AM and by noon its 85
degrees!
~ Heidi Sowards