Re: [RC] Stick vs. Automatic - Truman Prevatt

I sure wouldn't trust my powerstorke towing on some of the downhills in CO without selective tapping of the brakes. A diesel in a "runaway" mode is not a pleasent sight - that's why the tuckers have runaway ramps.  If I lived out West and drove a diesel, I'd sure have a "Jake brake."

It's not a matter of automatic vs. manual - once the engine is being driven by gravity - it doesn't care what is behind it.

Truman

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
A diesel is not as good at compression breaking as a gas engine - that's
 why "jake-brakes and exhaust brakes" were invented. A diesel is powered
 by compression producing heat - ignited the fuel so they can actually
get into a runaway mode on down hills (unless you have some sort of
exhaust brakes) or use your brakes.

Although you are right that it isn't as good as a gas engine for that, my
Powerstroke is still a steady beast downhill if one gets it into the
appropriate gear and just coasts.  And on the flat, you can still save
jamming your horses around with your brakes by gearing quietly down to a
planned stop.

Heidi

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.