Re: [RC] ultra sound - Chris Paus

Bette,

This particular mare has had three more foals for me
and she's always been pretty close to her due date
since then, so who knows what really happend in that
first experienced with her?

chris
--- Bette Lamore <woa@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Can't always tell, Chris
Mamma Mia, my Halynov daughter, has a gestation
period of 10 months and
a week. The first time we thought she was a month
premature but then her
other two babies took only 10+ months, too and none
were small.
Bette
PS We also had a mare who consistently took 12
months to hatch her
babies. I guess this is where that Bell curve comes
in :-)

Chris Paus wrote:

Hope, in my experience with broodmares, vets and
ultrasounds, the test is pretty darned accurate,
BUT
is only as good as the operator!

A vet once told me that my mare was not in foal
when
she should have been 30 days along. We took her
back
and bred her again. The mare had a foal EXACTLY 11
months from her FIRST due date. If she had not been
in
foal the first time we checked, that baby would
have
been a full month premature, and he was way too
developed for that...

The vet still insists that she was right and the
mare
was open when we checked the first time and that
the
baby just came early and was big....

I'm not so sure, but oh well!

chris
--- hope lundquist <wwho20@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Heidi & RCampers: Would you say ultrasound as a
preg test is unfailing? A
Mare of course.
Hope Lundquist

Check out MSN PC Safety & Security to help ensure
your PC is protected and

They're athletes! This is a partnership between
horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and
partners.
We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to
compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus

One would think that logic would prevail. But then,
if logic did prevail,
men would ride sidesaddle.
~  Bob Morris

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number
of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our
breath away." (George Carlin)

Arabians were bred for years primarily as a war
horse and those
requirements are similar to what we do today with
endurance riding.
~  Homer Saferwiffle

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards