RE: [RC] [RC] Possible skin problem - Laurie Durgin

You could try that new fly sheet that covers the horse from ears to tail.Horse Duster or something like that, it is in the catalogs.Also regular shampoing with a gentle horse shampoo. Bug repellent.etc. I have tons of bugs, some swampy land too.Sheets,spraying what isn't covered and shampoing. I have a bit of a problem with mane rubbing.Some scaly skin. I have been trying to figure it out too. MYG by Shapely helps if I keep putting it on.
I did have a friend who had a mustang with similiar sounding problems ,hers was all over. Much worse than mine, but lived nearby. It was the gnat bites the vet thought.She got injections too.

From: Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC] Possible skin problem Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:54:09 GMT

Please Reply to: Joe MichiganEndurance@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I got my first black horse last year. She is a great horse and a real competitor. Problem is she rubs on everything. Last summer she rubbed off most of her mane, tail, belly and shoulder hair leaving big sores. We worked constantly putting swat on her trying to keep the bugs off so she could heal up. It was a huge battle that we didn?t win or lose, just held our own until winter came in. Everyone seemed split: Some thought she would rub till she got blood and the blood brought in the bugs, which made it worst. Others thought she would get bug bites that would drive her nuts and she would keep rubbing the bites and still others thought she had dry skin that itch made her start rubbing and go crazy from there. Myself, all I know is over the winter she never rubbed on anything and her coat looks great now. I do have a huge fan and stall set up for her if need be this summer but feel this is a band-aid and not a cure. Does anyone have any ideas on how to over come this??????????? Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated, Joe

===========================================================By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
which is the bitterest.
~ Confucius

Check out MSN PC Safety & Security to help ensure your PC is protected and safe. http://specials.msn.com/msn/security.asp

There are 2 ways to win at this sport. You take a horse and race him for a
short time and then find a new horse or you can take one horse , do the
homework and spend many miles and years enjoying that horse.
~  Paddi Sprecher