Re: [RC] Windpuffs - Truman Prevatt

My mare came around a turn pretty fast one time and there was a big washout in front of us. She managed to miss it but evendently strained her right rear fetlock avoiding a total crash that could have killed me.

The thing that finally worked was ice twice a day for awhile and turnout and absolutely no riding for three months till it fully healed. It was April and I started her back in the fall season and she never had an problems at all with it.  I didn't have an ultrasound since I had decided to just turn her out and not ride her anyway.

So I'd just turn her out and watch him and give him plenty of time to recover.

Truman

Beth Bliss wrote:
I am currently on the Tevis rider list, however....

My horse developed a swelling on his right hind just above the fetlock in February.  On a training ride he just quit going and let the other horse go on ahead.  NOT NORMAL.  As we continued on, I could feel that he was off.  The swelling was apparent the next day, and I gave him 10 days off to see if it would go away.  It got better, but still was palpable.  He did not act lame with it.  I took him to an equine vet and he stated that it was a "windpuff", to ride him lightly, ice it after exercise, and then wrap it and see how it went.  His next recommendation, if things didn't improve was ultrasound.

That was about 4 weeks ago.  I have ridden him several times since then.  He rarely acts off in any way, but I occasionally feel it near the end of the ride, particularly at a walk down hills.  After the rides, he does have some heat in it.  I have tried the ice and wrap, the turn out and see, massage, bentonite clay, a few homeopathic remedies, and added glucosamine, msm, & chondroitin to his diet.  Of all of these, turn out after the ride seems to work best.

To the question I really want to ask of those among you who have experience with these.  Do you have any advice about how to treat this? How long does healing usually take? Should I forget this ride season and let him rest? (sob)  I know I should get off the list soon if he can't be 100%, so the next gal/guy can start dreaming and planning.

Thanks,
Beth Bliss and Corduroy Knickers

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.