From: "Joe Long" <jlong@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 6:36 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Setting Fire to Tents a/k/a Cut-throat Competition

I was flagging a trail for one of my rides one day, and when finished
was riding back along part of the trail I'd just flagged on my way
back to the trailer.  I came to a fork in the trail and the ribbons
had already been moved, to the wrong fork!  Then I came upon a couple
of guys in a pickup truck, and there were some of my ribbons in the
bed.

I said to them, "Say, if you see anyone pulling down ribbons from the
trees along here, could you ask them not to do that?  I'm marking the
trail for a trail ride here next weekend ... I'll take them down after
the ride."

They then admitted they'd been pulling ribbons down, and re-marked the
fork, because they thought they were ribbons put up by rival hunters
leading to a hunting spot!

At the Race of Champions one year, a resident near the trail kept
pulling down ribbons.  When ride management talked to her about it,
she indignantly told them that she paid a lot of money to live out
there and wasn't going to tolerate ribbons spoiling the view.  Ride
management had to send someone out just ahead of the riders to re-mark
the trail.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx

Just because someone tells you that your horse isn't "fit" for
endurance...doesn't mean it isn't, it just means your horse isn't fit to
be
"their" endurance horse! Go for it, you never know what you'll accomplish
with that "saddle horse" or "trail horse" of YOURS!
~ Darlene Anderson - DPD Endurance

Locks do not prevent theft, they only deter those in doubt.
~ Robert Morris