Re: [RC] vent-free heaters - Ed & Wendy Hauser

I would be extremely cautious in using one of those in a camper or RV.  The catalytic combustion is supposed not to be able to produce carbon monoxide, which is a poisonous gas that kills every year.  If you do, get a CO detector, which is a good idea anyway.

The combustion of the propane does produce two byproducts 1. Water which will raise the humidity and condense all over everything and drip if you do not have enough ventilation.  2. Carbondioxide.  Carbondioxide is also the byproduct of human respiration.  Theoretically, if to much of the oxygen in the air is used up in a closed camper, you would wake up feeling a need to breathe.  Our respiration reflex is triggered by carbondioxide in the blood.

If you install one I would recommend. First, always open two windows during operation.  Second, do not use it when you are asleep.  Go to a good sporting goods store and buy a good sleeping bag.  Spend a hundred dollars or more.  Warm the camper in the evening, turn off the heat, and sleep knowing for sure that you will wake up in the morning and that nothing that burns has fallen across the heater and burned up the camper and contents while you slept.  Then turn it on in the morning to warm up the camper.

If you really want heat at night, get a good through the wall unit.  Install it properly.  All the units I could find new, two years ago require 12 V DC to run a rather big fan, so you will need two or three group 27 batteries, and a recharging system for them.  Plan on spending a bunch of money.  Whatever you do, don't do what the previous owner of my LQ trailer did.  This person didn't want to use the orig. equipment furnace.  I suspect that the intermittent fault coupled with using ordinary car batteries to run the LQ soured her on the furnace. (I fixed both problems and it works great now)

First she/he must have used some sort of portable catalytic heater.  The bathroom door still has the burned spot where it started something on fire.  Then he/she installed a propane unit on the wall next to the refrigerator.  It most have seemed logical to her/him.   There were two problems.  The coat hooks were right above it, and if a fire had started, the fire would have been right in the door to the outside world.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875