RE: [RC] [RC] Pinamar - Pan American Pre-ride wrap-up - terry banister

Depart de todos, muchas, muchas gracias, Señora!

Terry

>From: "Stephanie Teeter" <steph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <johnt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>CC: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [RC] Pinamar - Pan American Pre-ride wrap-up
>Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 05:05:30 -0800
>

>Pinamar, Pan Am Pre-ride Wrap-up
>
>All in all, the Pan American pre-ride at Pinomar was a great success.
>There were only minor glitches, the mixup with the 80km riders on the
>beach, and a few ribbons pulled in the afternoon, causing some confusion
>with the 160km trail. I think this is a great place for the Pan American Championship.
>Good trail - there is a lot of sand though, I heard that the organizers might
>be looking for some other harder roads and trails to include next time - There was some of both,
>but probably too much sand overall, especially after many horses went
>over the same track. The vetting area and crewing areas were perfect.
>Nice smooth grass for trotting, easy traffic flow in-out of vetting area,
>plenty of space and water for crewing. They use a LOT of water here
>cooling their horses - pumps and hoses and spray rather than buckets
>and sponges. The area was like a small lake at one point, but sandy
>so it eventually drained.
>
>There´s a nice cantina for food and drink, where folks can visit and watch
>the vetting, and see horses coming and going. The course was well
>mapped - though a little complicated with many loops and colors. Everybody
>basically drove the course before the ride, with 4wd you could go everywhere
>that the horses went. The maps were good, so this probably wasn´t absolutely
>necessary, but I think it did help, especially where there were cross trails
>and entrance-exit to the beach. It really is a pretty trail. The coast is
>gorgeous, and there was usually some nice hard flat sand next to the water
>to ride on. The forested trails were also pretty, though the sand was
>starting to get pretty deep. There was a stretch along the highway, but the
>OC blocked traffic during the ride so it wasn´t a problem, and there were several stretches through
>the outskirts of Pinamar and Carilo, dogs, children, cars, bicycles, etc. but
>the horses didn´t seem to mind much. and it was entertaining!
>
>The completion rate for the 160km was pretty good, most riders were simply trying
>to get a solid completion or qualify for the WEC. Some of the horses looked
>great at the end, some looked tired. I´m still trying to get full results,
>with gate times, recovery times, etc, it will be interesting. I think most
>of the eliminations were lameness, a lot of the horses don´t train in the
>sand, and there was a lot of muscle fatigue from pushing off of the deep
>footing, and strain from pulling the feet out of the deep sand. Many people
>are realizing that they will need to train in the sand for next year´s
>Pan American.
>
>The completion rate for the 80km was horrible, probably the worst of all
> [...]

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar ? get it now! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/

Why should I look good if I don`t smell good? ~ author unknown