[RC] Burning tents, etc - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Karen Nelson knelson@xxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have been crewing and riding endurance since 1985.  I have left my keys in my
truck, left it open, and never had a problem.  People have "borrowed" what they
knew I had and knew I could afford to share.  Cokes, bananas, wheat bran,
whatever.  I only had one time when I was a bit puzzled when I got to camp for
lunch hour hold.  At Bear Valley Springs, my truck and 2 horse trailer were
missing.  Before I could panic, the next trailer over announced they had my
cooler, lunch, horse feed, hay bag, and my chair.  Jeff Briscoe needed a
trailer to pick up a injured horse in a spot he couldn't get with the larger
trailers assigned to do pickup that day, so he had helped himself to my rig,
which was much more manueverable. I had all I needed, and he got back to
re-park my rig just as I was leaving the out timer.  My dog Bandit went with
Jeff for the ride, even tho he was no help.  All the riders who know me also
know where I keep the bottle of Advil and also help themselves.  Never had a
problem, even on the 2001 Pony Express 2000 mile event.  I cannot fathom that
endurance riders would have actually burned tents.  Is there any evidence that
outsiders did this to scare off the whole event?

our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith