[RC] Scratches - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Karen Nelson knelson@xxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have used the following:
one third DMSO  GEL
one third Panalog
One third Tresaderm
Mix in batches usable for only about 48 hours at a time, as the DMCO breaks
down the other stuff.  Clipping ahead helps. I do all of the above on a clean
area, of course.  When you have the fungus of the scratches down to a dull
roar, then I would switch to spray on Schreiner's. Interesting smell, dark
brown liguid.  Not exactly cheap, but sprayer gives good distance for touchy
areas, and skin heals up fast.
When riding in desert alkali, I use Desitin liberally ahead of time, and try to
create a good barrier.   Good Luck.  It sure can make a happy horse sour when
scratches are present.

This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM