Re: [RC] scratches scratches have given me the blue's - Terry Flanagan

HI :o)  I had a grey mare that was getting bad scratches.  Here's what worked for me, after I tried lots of other things.

I mixed bag balm with desitin and applied a very thick amount to where the scratches was.  Then I wrapped her with a sanitary napkin and vet wrap.  I changed it every couple of days.  Whenever I would change it I would pick off any of the softened scabs.  This worked beautfully.  Was completely cured in a couple weeks.

Good luck!

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: Bonnie Patterson cpatterson48@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have an 8 yr old arabian mare, that has been lame 3 out of the last 4 limited distance rides. I have been unable to get the scratches undercontrol. If some one could help me I would appreciate it. This has been my program so far. I tried the iodine route, washing the feet and keeping it as clean and dry as possible. This did not work. The mare runs in a good size pasture and is stalled in a dry stall every night. With my vet help I have kept the area clipped. The next thing I tried was corona antiseptic ointment, still cleaning the area and then towel drying. She is lame in the two front feet, one is a white sock and it is the worse. This is my latest trial, when we ride I have put destin ointment that is used for diaper rash, borrowed from granddaughter, thanks Reese. After we ride I wash and again towel dry the area. For the last two weeks I have been using EQyess shampoo and gel. I have been cleaning the feet every other day. I am sure that Red would love for me to be able to come up with a cure. The skin is pink and is always irrated. And I am still not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I am feeling very flustered. If someone has had a success story or has a suggestion I would appreciate it.

===========================================================One would think that logic would prevail. But then, if logic did prevail,
men would ride sidesaddle.
~ Bob Morris