[RC] 5 Reasons I will always go treeless - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Mary Kornwolf mkornwolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi - This is Mary form Virginia. I rode my 1/2 Arab Shiloh in a custom-fit
Sharon Saare F-tree for about 5 years before switching to a treeless Ansur 2
years ago. Here's why I'll never go back:

1. Light weight. Even fully loaded, the Ansur weighs 20 lb less than my old
saddle. Much less work to tack and untack in vet checks (since we do mostly
100s and end up untacking almost every hold) Of course my horse appreciates
having less weight to haul around too!

2. Needs little padding. I use a regular Skito or a plain wool felt & have
never had a problem w/heat buildup or tenderness along his spine (was told
regular use of a treeless will build up/develop muscles alongside the sides of
the withers and back that might be prone to atrophy with a treed saddle - this
seems to be true)

3. The looks and unbreakability. The Ansur looks like a dressage saddle with a
suede seat. I don't feel I need a big cantle or pommel to stay secure and its
easier to mount/dismount. If we ever have a bad fall, I won't have to worry
about the tree  fracturing or saddle gouging the horse. (Two of my earlier
saddles both had trees that broke during a fall and they were useless
afterwards..would cost too much to repair.)

4. Improves my riding position. I used to throw my hip to one side, & if you do
that consistently, a treeless saddle will shift and let you know. After 2 years
of riding treeless, I not only have a better overall position but can ride with
a fairly loose girth, even around twists and turns. Late in a 100 miler, my
back and legs are less sore because of of my improved riding position.

5. Improves my horse's movement. Because there's no hard planes to interfere
with his upper shoulders, my horse can swing them back and forth more easily to
maintain that "big trot," which he's been able to maintain even late in the
ride. He also moves better off his hind end because this saddle puts my center
of gravity further back than my last saddle- proof is that his back shoes wear
down as much or more than his front ones!

I've ridden in a few other types of treeless and semi-treeless saddle, but for
all around versatility and looks this saddle is worth every penny - details at
www.ansursaddle.com

our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith