[RC] Post-ride Survey for Non-Problem Horses - April

Thank you to Mike and Jim for making this happen. Hopefully, I won't have to
fill out that pull survey anytime soon, but I sure will if the situation arises.
Also, great that horses can be registered online now. Very cool. A caveat to
those using that form...it's not secure, so I suggest a check or a phone call to
pay rather than posting your cc number there.

Now...I have a suggestion. How about a form that people can fill out to evaluate
their ride even if they didn't have a specific problem? This information would
not need be put into the AERC DB, rather it would be a rider tool get the rider
thinking.

After filling out the form, a neatly formatted page can be presented to the
rider that can then be printed out for the rider to put in their files to look
back on.

I'm sure many of the experienced riders can contribute ideas as to what could go
on this form.

I have some stuff that I like to know (as a new rider with a new horse).

Weather, terrain, temperature (and how, or if, that varied from my horse's
training). How often my horse drank water, from what types of water, when was
the first time he drank water. Overall weight change (for those of us lucky
enough to have access to scales before, during, and after the ride). What did my
horse eat, how often, how much. How much electrolytes, which brands, how often?
Ideas on what to work on before the next ride (drinking, rating, tack
adjustments, clothing adjustments). What was my horse's attitude throughout the
ride.

Basically, the form could be some leading questions along with some basic
information like ride info (name, date, number of vet checks, length of
loops,etc), horse info (age, previous completed miles).

This might not be useful for the most experienced of riders and their
experienced mounts, but might be a good tool for newbies or those bringing along
a new horse. Gives them a chance to think out the ride and have a record to look
back on.

Even if this doesn't get put on the website, I'd love to hear some more of your
ideas. I would like to put together a Word document template or something for me
to create on my own. My ride season will be starting soon and I think this would
be a good thing for me to have for each ride as this is our first season chock
full o' 50s.

Please discuss away (privately to pmacedir at jadawn dot com or reply to the
list). This would be most helpful for me and I would share the resulting
document with any interested.

Thanks,
April
Nashville, TN