[RC] Pointer horses - Julie Fuller

Horses make great hunting companions here too! In the NW, especially west of the mountains, you gotta step on them before you shoot 'em, because the brush is so thick!

Several years ago, a friend of mine and I (Hi, Heidi!) were riding up on the logging roads out of her place. It was bow hunting season. We came apon three hunters on the road, looking around for deer. Heidi spotted one, about 100 yards away,told them about it, and after some time, the hunters finally saw it too. We waited as one of the hunters closed in on the deer and took a shot. He missed.

We rode on, and maybe a quarter mile later, our horses went "on point" There were 5 or 6 deer, standing about 50 yards off the road! So we went back to the hunters and told them about them. They were thrilled, and as Heidi and I rode off, we discussed whether or not we should charge a fee for pointing deer!

Julie

Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough ~ Theodore Roosevelt