Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 3:29 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] some folks dont speak arabian/jigging horse

It seems that even with the proliferation of all the "natural horsemanship" trainers out there, the people like Tom Dorrance and Ray Hunt who developed an "empathy" with the horse are hard to find.  The "ideal horse" these days seems to be one that you can treat like a motorcycle or ATV.  Just hop on, step on the gas an off you go.

A better relationship is one where there is a "partnership" between horse and rider.  Someone on Ridecamp (Barb McCrary? Maryben?) once said something like "No one will ever sneak up on you if you own an Arabian".  Dang, that's true!  And you better pay attention to what he's telling you!  You not only need to "speak" Arabian, you better learn to listen a little, too!

Since I have been starting  Magic, Sunny has sadly been a pasture ornament over the last year.  It's HARD to keep two Arabians fit.  I normally don't allow other people to ride my horses, with the exception of kiddie pony rides in the paddock.  However, one of my neighbors is a pretty good rider, takes dressage lessons, etc.  After a few "trial" outings, I have been letting her ride Sunny along with me and Magic, but never on her own....at least not yet....jury is still out on that.

It's been interesting...and kinda fun....to watch her approach and her amazement at dealing with my Arabians.. I need to work on her "centered riding" (she rides leaning left a little with an "s" bend in her back) but it's obvious she has NEVER been around horses like mine, especially Arabians.  Sunny "tested" her immediately, and let her know in no uncertain terms when he was not happy with her response!  :)

She learned a lot.

To ride "soft" on the reins ...no "collection pressure" on the hack...just the "weight" of the reins, allowing him to extend his nose and trot freely....and to "lighten" her cues.  Watching the look on her face riding Sunny at a full extended trot the first time on a slack rein was priceless!  So was the time I asked her to let him "charge" a small hill at a gallop!

My horses don't leave for the hinterlands when you show up with a saddle, bridle, or halter.  They come when called and stick their nose in the halter. You don't need ANY restraint, including standing on the washrack, and they don't walk off when you're trying to mount.

You can take them anywhere, with or without a halter. I had to make her leave the lead line/reins lying over Sunny's neck during leading to get her to quit using a "death grip" 4 inches from the halter. Sunny hates it!.

She was grooming Sunny and he was grooming her! <grin> Somewhat taken aback by that!

My guys enjoy a ride....and have NO problem leaving the barn and don't RUN on the way back.  If I leave one behind, he's only upset because he doesn't get to go....unless Joan comes down when we leave and grooms him and scratches the good spots! <grin>

To read the "tension" in his body....when he sees, hears, or "senses" something unsual...and learn how to communicate at that level.  The first time that happend was a wondrous experience for her.....he "sensed" that another rider was coming and she read it.  Just couldn't stop talking about it.... <grin>

That Arabians don't get "tired" in the normal sense.  She was amazed that four hours at speed is "nothing" to my guys, even in the mountains.

Arabians like lots of attention....they bond to humans....HARD if you provide that attention and appropriate leadership.  They are strongly empathic. No matter how much riding experience you have, if you haven't ridden and and bonded with an Arabian.....you have missed one of the wonders of the horse world.

Yes, Bonnie...go see him....GUARANTEE he will remember you.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic