[RC] just had to share-ponying... - Jenna Pywell

"I think it is really important that a young horse either have
turnout in
rough terrain, or be taken out on a rugged trail from an early age,
both
being
ponied and running loose following."

i definitely agree with the tremendous benefits that this can have from various aspects, i have 2 arab geldings, 1 is 18 and the other is 6 (the 18 y.o is worth his weight in gold, i give him more credit for training my 6 y.o than i could ever acheive). My 6 y.o is very immature and very needy, so i figured i would let him loose while doing a 12 mile loop out on a ranch just to see if he would follow my 18 y.o. Not only did he follow, he led, it was great as he was clearly having a blast, he took us the right way, stopped to walk down the hills and if he got to far ahead he would stop and wait! It was certainly a great way to condition both at once, and my friend and i had a blast watching my little guy kick up his heels and enjoy the ride. i definitely reccomend this if one has a 'safe' place to try it. i tried it the other way around next time and my 18 y.o knew better and took off back to camp, i finished the loop and found him eating grass by the trailer! certainly if they will follow it is my fav way to condition 2 at once.
p.s my 6.y.o only left me once and that was when he mistook some cows to be his 'herd', it was pretty neat to see him gallop off amidst them only to realise that mom was calling him from the opposite direction, he stopped, looked a little confused, then it registered and he came flying back to us to resume his 'leadership' job. Personally, i feel that these occasional escapades are great for his brain. Jenna, Czar (oops mom they really did look like horses...) and trooper...

...I got me some horses to ride on, to ride on...they say that my demons can't go there, so i got me some horses to ride on, to ride on...(Tori Amos)

poisonousdwarf@xxxxxxxxx
*** Jenna ***