Re: [RC] Drug testing - detection and sample size - heidi

However, there is no reason the process could not include the winner, BC
 and 8 horses drawn at random. The one flaw may be at rides I've seen it
 done only finishers were tested. If someone was really intent on using
drugs - particularly some that really had some performane enhancing
capability like steroids -  and he/she heard testing was going on he
could eaisly skirt the process - and walk - by pulling himself for RO
("...doc I have a bad case of cramps and can't go on as much as I want
to..."). So I would think it should be directed at the field of starters
 and not just finishers -

That was one of the aspects I liked about the protocol the testers in the
NW have used.  Although I don't recall a non-finisher ever being tested,
the potential was certainly there (and would be more apt to happen if we
could test more horses) since the horses were drawn from the number of
starters.

Heidi

They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM