Re: [RC] APF - Truman Prevatt

Bob,

This raises more questions than it answers. First how many horses were tested by the AERC and the state of CA as their agent?  I am not sure either the FEI or AERC is testing a sufficient number of horses to amount to a "hill of beans." Unless testing has significantly increased the AERC has a significant bank account in testing fund - why isn't that money being spent to perform testing?

It's pretty easy to determine the probablility of detecting drugs if they exist at a given rate once the number of test is know. I suspect that the testing rate is insufficient to catch a fairly high drug use rate with any confidence. But without the numbers - including CA its not possible to run the numbrs.

The AERC had over 20,000 starts last year - how many did the FEI have?

Until those facts are provided it is very difficult to give your claims much weight. I suspect when push comes to shove the FEI has a much more robust program which is based on the current best science not some knee jerk "zero tolerance" concept which may or may not withstand legal test.

The FEI has been out front investigating horse deaths - I suspect they are out front on the drug issue.

Truman

bobmorris@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Message
You all might be interested in exactly how the FEI handles the situation. The following is excerpted from their latest news letter:

5. Some facts about medication control in the FEI.

SAMPLING - up to 2000 samples are collected per year for testing; about 1300 of these are from Europe (FEI Groups 1 and 2) and the remainder from events in the rest of the world. Blood and urine samples are collected by an experienced vet who follows a careful protocol to ensure that no tampering of the samples can occur.

LABORATORY ANALYSIS - the samples are sent to an FEI approved laboratory, which is experienced in dealing with horse material. The laboratory then reports the result directly and confidentially to the FEI Veterinary Department in Lausanne.
Positive samples - these are reported to the FEI Legal Department and an opinion as to the type of drug and whether it is on the Prohibited Substance list is sought from the Medication Sub-committee.

DECISION MAKING ñ all the information on positive samples is passed to the Judicial Committee who then decide on the outcome of the case and what sanction should be imposed. The outcome of their discussions are regularly reported in the FEI Bulletin. The judgments and sanctions are carefully considered, based on legal principles, and involve an appeal process should this be necessary.

RESULTS - From the 2000 samples examined each year the positive rate is approximately 3%, most of which (85%) are due to pain killing and sedative drugs. About 70% of samples are taken from Jumping horses and so proportionately the highest number of positives come from that discipline; 7% are taken from Dressage and Eventing competitions with 4% from Endurance; the rest come from Driving, Vaulting and Reining.

EVENTING ñ There has been no demonstrable increase in the positive rate in any discipline, including Eventing, over the last 12 months nor in the types of positives detected.

The medication control programme in the FEI is kept as transparent as possible and the results disseminated widely within the FEI and its participating disciplines. The programme (as the Press Release indicated) is constantly under review. Its ultimate aim is to protect the reputation of equestrian competition as a clean sport.

Now, the 4% of 2000 drug tests (80 each) for the endurance competition is for the world. For Europe there were about 52 tests and for the "rest of the world" there 28 tests done. I am positive in stating that the AERC did a greater percentage of testing than the FEI Endurance people even thought about.

Read the above very carefully and you will see that the AERC really is a leader not only with a zero tolerance but in the way we spell out how we handle our problem and how we get the job done.

Bob

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.