Re: [RC] [RC] the "rack" - Laurie Durgin

We have a lot of "Racking horses" around here. I've 'tried' to trailride with some a couple years ago. Rascal had to trot pretty fast to keep with them. The ones in our local show really huff and puff, nostrils blazing, sweat pouring off them after their time in the show ring (county shows, not the big gaited horse shows). I wonder now if it's because they work so hard, or if they are just not conditoned well.(course now when i realise the depth of sand the parks arena was, I'm amazed every horse in the show didn't pull something , it was like 4-6" deep and no one at home had anything like that.)
The riders look like they have Jello bottoms. Sort of like those old fashion vibrater belts our grandmothers tried for reducing. But they are a much easier ride. Laurie

From: "Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Dana B." <ddbpaso@xxxxxxxxx>, <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   the "rack"
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 07:27:17 -0800

I've been reading the posts on "the rack" with interest. We had a gelding once, my husband's mount...16 hands, 1/2 Morgan, 1/2 Percheron, that was a wonderful and successful endurance horse. The one time I rode him on a 50-mile endurance ride, I experienced what I can only believe to be a "rack." He would go beyond his very fast trot (to which I could post) into a faster gait (to which I could not post) that I just sat to. It was exhilarating, fast and smooth and was a four-beat gait. As a child I had a Morgan or Morgan cross mare that would single-foot, but it was nowhere near as fast as Grey's rack.

Barbara