[RC] Re; How do you become an endurance rider? - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: pattie holsbeke horseygrandma2000@xxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

hi Hillary, I saw your post and even though I am not qualified to tell you
since I am starting this myself this year, I was provoked to answer. First you
must know how to ride. I assume you ride, so next you have to learn how to ride
a long distance. You and your horse must learn to work as a team. you must be
aware of his abilities, and learn to read his or hers attitude. you must be
able to tell if they are uncomfortable or hurting in any way. Get books on the
subject and read and reread them. Join a local riding club and even better a
distance riding club. Contact you local 4h office they might be able to help
you. I am new at the endurance sport but have been riding long distances for
many years. Take your time. Keep a record of how far you ride and try and
increase your stamina and your horses. Try never to get your horse in trouble.
Teach him to depend on you, and to trust you in any situation. Most of all love
him or her. You can't pet too much. They will reward you by giving you thier
all under any circumstances. I was drawn by your dyslexia statement. My
daughter Robyn is graduating from college this Dec.. She is dyslexic. They told
her she would never be normal and would always need help in reading. Well she
has carried a 3.5 average all through col. and she will be a teacher. I told
them she could do it and she did. I believe this attitude can help you or
anyone trying to succeed at this sport. Don't listen if they tell you you
can't. Prove them wrong. Good Luck pattie

to have in your kit are Tincture of Time and a Dose of
Common Sense. These two will carry you through 99.999% of the problems
associated with horses and endurance competition.
~ Robert Morris