Re: [RC] Question for the gaited people - Ridecamp Guest - A. Perez

 Yes, gaited horse folks (espec. those riding TWHs) tend to sit
in a 'chair seat', back on the horse, feet forward.  Shifting
your weight back makes the horse step under himself (since the
front legs are carrying of the weight, so the hind end needs to
get under the weight to support it) which increases overstride
and smooths out the walk.  It also seems to discourage pacing,
at least in my horse.   Personally, a VERY slight shift of the
weight to the rear is OK, but I don't like the extremes it is
often taken to - sometimes the riders feet are almost in front
of the horses shoulder!  I have always had problems with having
a 'chair' seat, even before riding walkers.

 I don't think this seat, especially in it's extreme form, is a
good idea over long distances, and may well case sore backs,
epecially if the rider's feet are so far forward that s/he can't
get into two-point quickly when needed.

 I try to check this tendencey by standing in the stirrups from
time to time... if it's hard to do, or if I have to move my feet
back alot, I know my feet are two far forward.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag
The whole ride experience can be very hard, and at times you question why
you put yourself through such abuse. But then you remember all those
moments when you pop up over a hill and are suddenly surrounded by the most
stunning views.  It's just you and your horse and for a moment time stops
and you can hear the angels sing.  Therein lies the addiction, at least for
me.
~  Leslie Beyers