[RC] Pasos, sore backs, heart rates - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Julie S js017k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier post about Pasos - all your input
has been extremely helpful. One more point I'd like some more info on - Sue
mentioned that her Peruvian's working pulse dropped when he went into a trot.
Has anyone else found this, or found that a well-conditioned horse has a higher
pulse when in gait?

One comment on the riding-position/sore back issue - there is an article at
centeredriding.org that talks about how Centered Riding principles are
universal and apply to all breeds/gaits. The author states that being centered
on the horse allows it to gait most freely and comfortably. She only recommends
that the upper body be an inch or so behind the vertical and heels that amount
in front of the vertical when riding gaiteds. The whole article is worth a look
- http://www.centeredriding.org/articleshow.asp?story=96&titleimage=

Again, thanks to all who replied!

Julie
js017k at mail dot rochester dot edu

have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton