Re: [RC] APF What is in it, and would residues from its administration violate rule 13? - Ed & Wendy Hauser

 "...Gastroguard. As far as I am concerned if a substance has been show to have no effect like MSM and DMG then who cares. By arguing over these things and worrying about them we lose the sight on the bigger threat to the sport - allowing in drugs that have proven pharmacological effects, e.g. Gastroguard..."

I certainly agree with that.  I just am unaware that the vet committee is giving serious consideration to modification of Rule 13 to allow Gastroguard.  If such a move is on the agenda, I have some letters to write.

Do not loose sight of the fact that this discussion started because a person apparently thought that APF was OK because it was not a "drug".  My responses were triggered because Rule 13 is not a "drug" rule, and quick research showed that APF contained a bunch of chemicals that had been shown to have effects on people. (including, if I interpret the doctor speak correctly,  modifying sleep which could be seen as a calming effect in horses)  I usually respond to herbal posts because many people seem to think that if it comes from a plant it is not banned, and if it is sold as a herbal product it must be safe.  Some herbal products are dangerous! That is why the human diet preparations with "fen-fen" are banned.  They caused people to die!  Even websites touting the internal use of Aloe Vera warn that it can wreck kidneys, cause diarrhea, and should be taken with other herbs to prevent cramps.  No endurance horse should be competing with this plant product in their body!

You do have a good point about the limits of detection.  I posted on the increasing sensitivity of analytical testing a few years ago.  I was privately chastised for this by a member of the vet committee.  Formal action limits may have to come at some time in the future, but I don't think the time is right yet.

It is indeed unfortunate that we live in a culture that both hates and loves drugs.  We harshly punish people for consumption of relatively harmless drugs, and encourage other drugs with advertisements every day.  It is bad to make yourself feel better by smoking pot, but OK to use any one of a dozen prescription happy pills.

Others do not trust science, but still want the magic bullet.  They delude themselves that if it is "natural" or "herbal" it must be safe and OK.  These people take real risks with their lives.  Some of the preparations they spend their hard earned money for are totally ineffective so they waste their money.  Some are harmful (Fen-fen).  Some may be OK for some things, but vary in potency. One batch may be ineffective because of low potency, another may be harmful because of high potency.  Some of these herbal preparations do work and work well.  When my boss's brother was dying of cancer 20 years ago, a Chinese co-worker sought the advice of a traditional healer he knew from before he emigrated.  This, apparently honest, healer offered no hope of cure, but did provide preparations that relieved pain and elevated the spirits of the ill person.

If an adult person chooses to use herbal preparations on themselves, knowing the risks and potential rewards, that is their business.  It becomes the AERC's business when the preparation is used on a horse during a ride.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875