[RC] re: Fadwah and Rio - Cindy Collins

They were better horses than I am a human being...

I was honored to have ridden Fadwah 250 miles and several of his
children/relatives on rides...Sierra Spunk, FM Fad Serene and Fire Mt.
Torch.  Even though I rode him after he was getting old and arthritic, he
was still one of the finest horses I've ever seen or ridden.  He had that
something special that shone out from his eyes and I loved him dearly. I'm
having lots of trouble not sobbing here at my desk.  My students might not
understand what he meant to me, but my ridecamp colleagues will, I  hope.

I was also honored to have ridden along beside Rio on a couple of
occasions and what I remember most was the love between Rio and Becky, and
Rio's absolute love of going down the trail.  He was, and is, my ideal
endurance horse.

I honor them with this poem/song that I hope someone, someday reads at my
grave:

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
(1) I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
(2) When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
(Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!)
Text by Mary Frye

Just because someone tells you that your horse isn't "fit" for
endurance...doesn't mean it isn't, it just means your horse isn't fit to be
"their" endurance horse! Go for it, you never know what you'll accomplish
with that "saddle horse" or "trail horse" of YOURS!
~ Darlene Anderson - DPD Endurance