[RC] TWH - Julie Fuller

...And if that horse is "on the bit" and collected, it should be
able to naturally travel in a comfortable(for the horse) and effortless
manner, right?

Is "collected and on a bit" natural for a horse or is it a head and neck
position that people choose for the horse? I have never seen any horse travel
that way without being forced

If a horse is shod based on natural conformation and gaits with its natural
headset, why change it with a bit? To me it's paramount to asking an athlete
to run with the same composure with or without high heels.

I agree with you that "I think it's important not to mess with
Mother Nature anymore than is nescessary. "

When I say "on the bit, or collected" I don't mean it in the "show ring" sense. You can have collection without anything on the horses head at all. I think that "collection" ( I can't seem to find a term for what I am trying to say... Help me out here guys!) is paramount to having a horse that can move safely down the trail, in control, but able to adjust to various terrain, at various gaits and speeds in a natural manner... a manner in which they would move if they didn't have someone on their back (Given, of course, that they should choose to go 50 miles in 12 hours or less)

Granted, some horses are better at this than others.... I'm sure we've all seen "strung out" horses cruising head-long down the trail on the brink of disaster. To me, collection is when you can communicate a better choice of movement for the horse in any given situation, keeping the limits of their conformation, mentality and physical condition formost.. And when you reach Nirvana with a horse, you don't have to tell them at all.

For me, endurance is about all the variables to be discovered, survived and enjoyed.

Julie