Re: [RC] Ulcers - Spirittxarabians

Some of the ads for ulcer products I have seen state that as many as 50% of all
competition horses may have ulcers. (I don't know where the data came from
though.) The definition of Competition horses includes eventing, showing,
rodeo, racing, etc. Ulcers are usually caused by stress, which is different
from horse to horse, but can be stress from hauling, staying in strange
surroundings, being separated from pasture mates, being stalled too long, being
worked too hard. The signs of ulcers include going off feed, taking longer than
normal to eat, being picky about what they eat. In my opinion, if a horse is
showing signs of ulcers they need to be treated and given an opportunity to
recuperate from whatever stress may have caused the problem. Competing a horse
with signs of ulcers would make the problem worse. Rather than medicating the
horse as a preventive, you can do whatever is necessary to reduce the stress
for that particular horse - bring his buddy to the ride, have everything at the
ride be as close as possible to the conditions at home (same feed, etc.) and
condition him enough that the ride is easier for him, in other words go slower
than he may be fit to go on the next few rides and ride with less excitable
horses, etc.

Selena Copeland
Spirit of Texas Arabians
spirittxarabians@xxxxxxx
www.spirittxarabians.com
D·§vêÚ?Ç¢²Ö¤?x2¢êç¢xh®Ç²}©¢?+hj¸?yƦ§­?*.è??*0j·l®'^q©©?ëb?ú+?«b¢xm¶?ÿÃ
?Û«jw?ë®'^q©©