From: suendavid@xxxxxxx [mailto:suendavid@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 2:35 PM
To: Michelle Fink
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] interesting ulcer article

They did a novel study using exercising horses and found that
when the horse moves faster than a walk, the gastric wall is
contracted and stomach acids get pushed higher up in the
stomach, into more sensitive tissues which can induce
ulceration.

Any thoughts about it?

All the more reason to keep plenty of forage in the stomach to
buffer acids.

The upper non-glandular region is more sensitive, but is
effectively protected by saliva *if* there's forage, forage and
more forage being chewed to initiate saliva production (another
reason why I prefer long-stem hay over pellets or
cubes).

Susan G

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag
They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM