Re: [RC] Ulcers - oddfarm

----- Original Message -----
From: "Howard Bramhall" <howard9732@xxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 9:06 AM
Subject: [RC] Ulcers

If so, why on earth would we not
allow them to be used during endurance competition?

I have some more, but, please, anyone, whatcha think about all this?

cya,
Howard

Well, here's what I think, not that it accounts for anything as I have been
told.

If your horse had COPD but it could be managed by drugs, would you still try
to compete? If your horse had a stifle problem but could be managed with
drugs, would you still try to compete?
Granted, these problems are debilitating for our sport but you get the
picture. We don't even allow bute which could be used for something like
plain muscle soreness or a stone bruise. Zero tolerance means ZERO, ZILCH,
NONE.

Now, one of our top riders of this sport indicated to me that preventive
drugs should be allowed for horses with ulcers. I was told I was misinformed
about this subject. So I won't repeat what we were told at the convention in
Chattanooga, or any of the other hundreds of publications that are out there
about this subject. (Which I must have heard wrong and read wrong so how
COULD I be right???)

I will repeat my opinion. If your horse needs drugs, supportive,
preventative or otherwise, to get through an endurance ride, you need to
leave that horse at home. If the horse has ulcers, then is treated and they
never return, during competition or any other time, then by all means ride
on.

How is it that people will bitch and piss and moan about the unethical
treatment show horses get just to be able to compete and win, and yet some
of those very same people would think it would be ok to use drugs, however
mild they may be, to get an endurance horse across the finish line?

Oh yeah, "To Finish Is To Win".

Lisa Salas, Teh odd farm and Corona Ranch

Howie, have a pre-purchase exam, even if the horse is free. It is not the
people with money who do that, it is the horsemen and women who know there
is no such thing as a free horse who have it done.

The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith