[RC] Ulcers - Howard Bramhall

I was hoping we might talk about this one, openly, nothing personal, for a bit. I had an interesting conversation with a true endurance rider about this topic, as, we both kinda took a peek at the horse, two stalls down from one of my guys, hooked up to an IV. I don't think the horse was in particular trouble, the owner had said it was dehydrated and she was using the bags to rehydrate her horse.

Anyway, back to the ulcer thing, here's a few questions. Does endurance, because of the fact a horse's insides, stomach in particular, was not meant to perform one hundred miles in a 24 hour period, cause ulcers? Are these ulcers a result from the sport itself? Is there any correlation between some of our equine deaths in the sport and "ulcers?" Can the products used to heal them also be used to prevent them? If so, why on earth would we not allow them to be used during endurance competition?

I have some more, but, please, anyone, whatcha think about all this?

cya,
Howard

Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee when you click here. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963

REAL endurance is reading the LD vs. Endurance thread/debate every 3
months!!!
~ Heidi Sowards