[RC] Sandhills Stampede 55 - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Deb Ambrose mkkgs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello all,
  I'm happy to say I got a sunburn at the Sandhills 55 on Saturday.  Seems
like all over this has been a tough winter; a couple of ice storms, one
snowfall and plenty of cold wind and rain for us in North Carolina, Lippy and I
didn't do as much as I would have liked since JD's ride in November.  But
February was milder, and he was going pretty well, so we set out to try our 4th
50-miler. OK, 55.
   Cold and clear at 6AM--off we went in a fluffy of jazzed up horses.  We
tried to leave late with Cheryl and her beautiful mare Vanna, but a lot of
folks had the same idea.  Wide open sandy roads to start, plenty of people
going by in a canter.  Whee!  Eventually it thinned out a bit, and we were able
to settle in a little more.  First loop was about 20 miles, really well marked,
and water here and there.  We rode off and on with Mike and his Cougar, and
tried to let folks pass to get in our own groove.  The footing had some deep
spots, but was great overall.  By the time we got back to camp, I was wishing I
had clipped him a little.
   40 minute hold, and off we go again.  This time with relaxed horses, doing
our easy trot of about 7-9 mph.  It was great to feel Lippy settle in and be
able to ride on a loose rein.  We took turns leading, and I'm happy to say we
didn't have any real spooks the whole ride.  Every time I read someone's story
of that "moment" when they feel bonded with their horse, I think, "When's that
going to happen for us?"  We've been together 4 years, after 25 horseless
years, and the spooking is finally starting to disappear.  I have to take my
little moments when they come.  That stump he just keeps an ear on instead of
squirting around.  The plastic bag that flutters and he holds his breath, then
lets it out when I remember to let mine out.  "On by," I say as we go.
   Cheryl is one tough cookie.  Vanna saw a monster behind a stump just as we
finished the second loop, and did a quick spin.  I sure would not have gotten
up that quick and gotten back on!  Our husbands were watching from across the
levy in camp, and were glad to see the riderless horse captured, remounted, and
ridden into the check.  What a girl!  Bruise on her cheekbone, and that overall
sore feeling we all know.  Through the check and back out!
   Neither horse was too enthused at 1pm and 70 degrees to walk past our own
camps and back across the levy.  But a little coaxing, a half mile or so, and
the rubberband holding them back breaks.  We're off!
   This loop is 16 miles, and there's plenty of sand left.  Those extra 5
miles in this ride are big ones!  It's a humbling feeling to have a horse tell
you he's tired, walk him a while and have him respond when you ask for a little
more.  Some of this loop was twisty, turny, low branches, and logs to hop over
that would have been fun if we all weren't so pooped.  So we made time where we
could, and eased up when we needed.  Lippy peed a darker yellow than I'd seen
before, and I was worried.  Next water barrel was empty.  Ouch.
   Turned a corner, and here stretched about 1/3 mile of deep sand in a fairly
good climb.  Wow.  Up we went.  About half way up I offered him an apple slice,
and he took it without stopping.  We got to the top, and he put his nose on my
knee and looked me in the eye.  All I had left was a Clif Bar (carrot cake).  I
gave him half, and he looked smug munching it.
  On to the finish, and I could feel his stride shorter than this morning. The
sand had taken its toll.  I was happy to see the line, and my husband was
waiting with at our area with a bucket of water and cold Gatorade.  At last!
   We went right to the vets, and he was good to go.  I could barely stay
ahead of him, but I saw the good sight, the scribe writing, and the vet calling
for the next person.  Whew!  It was hard work for us, and I was glad we came
through, I think 48th out of 64 starters and I don't know how many finishers.
   I believe my husband Mark has accepted the fact that I ride conservatively.
He's a competitive person, and it's tough for him to see all these people sail
into camp well before me.  I'm grateful for his support, and hope he
understands.
   Cheryl, thanks for your company and help!  I'll find your email for my
yellow vest!
   Great ride.  Wish we were in shape for Sunday, but maybe next year.  Patsy
Gowen and Liz Sine do a great job.

Deb Ambrose and Lippy, Ara-App 205 miles
Aberdeen, NC

a 100-mile rider or a multi-day rider to be an
endurance rider, but if you want to experience the finest challenges our
sport has to offer, you need to do both of those.
~ Joe Long