From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David
LeBlanc
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2004 8:05 PM
To: heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; tomnoll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] Wild Horses

Tom, please don't make the mistake of thinking that
"wilderness" is just a non-motorized area.  A wilderness
area
is so tied up in red tape that you can't maintain trails,
you
can't go in to get an injured person out, you can't manage
it
for grazing or horseback riding--nothing!  I'm right smack
up
against wilderness areas where I live, and they are NOT
places where you can go and have the kind of "wilderness
experience" that you had.
They are locked-up wastelands of down timber, they are
fire
hazards, and they are nigh on impossible for the average
citizen to access and enjoy.

There's wilderness that we ride through up near Salmon La
Sac. It's absolutely gorgeous. Incredible trails, and
nothing built by people anywhere you can see. I don't think
the part we ride through has been logged but once.

You can maintain the trails, just not with power equipment.
This does make it harder - you have to drop back to
techniques used 50 to 100 years ago.

I do agree with you that not all of the restrictions make
sense - for example, they ought to be able to bring in a
helicopter to get injured people out.

What I think we need is something between wilderness and
taxpayer funded tree farms. Maybe a recreational area
designation that only allows certain activities, but not as
restrictive as wilderness. I find it ironic that a national
park is less restrictive than wilderness. There might be
ways already on the books to do this.

There's an area near here that might get marked wilderness.
It is a good candidate - good bit of old growth in there.
The thing that bugs most people is that we have a nice
trailhead we'd lose because they'd take out the road that
gets you there. It would make riding up there a lot harder -
fairly well limit things to people capable of overnighting
and maybe endurance riders if they get up early enough.

REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards

sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough
~  Theodore Roosevelt