RE: [RC] Wild Horses - Mary Sutliff

The  national parks in Washington state ae much more restricttive than
our wildernes areas.  Just try to ride at Rainier-very limited.  In the
North Cascades National Park you must have a permit-not convenient to
obtain-to camp with horses in the back country.  Also the park rangers
will check on you to make sure you are camped exactly where your permit
says you can.   For example:  we had a permit for Devils Camp on the
east bank of Ross Lake.  Lightning Creek was nicer, empty, and better
positioned.  We could not change our plans and camp there.  The ranger
came in by boat to make sure we were are Devil's Camp.  We have packed
with our horses for years in Washington's Cascade Mountains and the
Wilderness Areas, especially east of the mountains, are much more horse
friendly.  We go out for a week to ten days at a time and believe me
give me "Wilderness" any day.  Ah, the Pasayten, the Goat Rocks, the
Chelan Wilderness, Glacier Peak,and even the Alpine Lake Wilderness are
all much more horse friendly than our national parks!

They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM